Toilet discount deadline March 31
Last updated 1/11/2007 at Noon
Homeowners who want to reduce their water use and expense can turn to high-efficiency toilets and a voucher discount worth up to $165 off the price of qualifying models, but they need to act soon. Available for 15 years in San Diego County, the discount incentive opportunity for single-family property owners ends March 31. Customers of Rainbow Municipal Water District are eligible for vouchers for both high-efficiency toilets and clothes washers while Fallbrook Public Utility District customers are eligible for the clothes washer vouchers only.
Homes built before 1994 that have yet to replace water-guzzling 3.5- to 5-gallon-per-flush or more toilets are eligible for the cost-saving vouchers. Dual-flush, pressure-assist and gravity-flow “high-efficiency” models are eligible for $165-per-toilet discounts at the time of purchase. And there’s a long list of 1.6-gpf models that qualify for $75 discounts.
This year’s 25,000 toilet vouchers will be the last, as the Water Authority and its local member agencies refocus their single-family property conservation efforts on outdoor water use – an area where even greater water savings can be realized. It’s a first-come, first-served program, which means the time to replace old toilets is now, before the vouchers run out.
Another household water-saving opportunity is high-efficiency clothes washers. By teaming with San Diego Gas & Electric to offer one convenient incentive, the Water Authority now offers a $175 discount available at nearly all retail appliance stores.
The voucher discounts bring the purchase price of qualifying washers down. Ongoing savings include reductions in gas, electric, water and sewer expenses. High-efficiency washers are said to save over 9,000 gallons of water a year and use 55 percent less energy. To request a toilet or clothes washer voucher, call 1-800-986-4538. It can be used for a point-of-purchase discount at participating wholesale and retail suppliers countywide. The following guidelines apply:
• Toilets and clothes washers must be selected from Water Authority lists of approved models. Call 1-800-986-4538 to request a copy or visit http://www.sdcwa.org/manage/pdf/Conservation/ApprovedSPStoilets.pdf
• Toilets installed as part of new construction or bathroom additions do not qualify.
• Used, remanufactured or reconditioned clothes washers do not qualify for voucher discounts.
• Participating property owners agree to onsite installation verification.
• The last date to request toilet vouchers is March 31, 2007.