Helpful post-fire tips from local agencies
Last updated 11/2/2007 at Noon
Precautions for cleaning ash
To avoid injuries, the county is issuing the following recommendations for cleaning ash:
• Do not use leaf blowers.
• Do not hose ash particles into drains.
• Lightly mist indoor and outdoor surfaces before gently sweeping ash.
• Use only vacuums with HEPA filters.
• Avoid skin contact with the ash.
• If skin comes in contact with ash, wash immediately.
• Wear well-fitting dust masks (this actually protects more from large particles rather than the fine particulate matter).
• Collected ash may be placed in trash bags for trash.