Also serving the communities of De Luz, Rainbow, Camp Pendleton, Pala and Pauma

JV Warriors come back to beat Patriots 49-44 in overtime

On December 11, the Fallbrook JV basketball team hosted the Orange Glen Patriots. Compared to Orange Glen, the Warriors were limited by the lack of players of large physical stature.

Despite an initial lead, Fallbrook never regained it until the final minutes of regulation play. Clutch plays by the Warriors forced overtime en route to a 49-44 victory.

The game began on a fast pace. However, both teams played a sloppy first half and committed numerous turnovers.

The Warriors missed several great looks and the lay-ups failed to trickle down the basket on many occasions. Fallbrook also got into foul trouble early in the game.

At the end of the first quarter, Fallbrook trailed 7-11.

The second quarter was no different as the Warriors missed open looks and made several mistakes.

Fallbrook ended up scoring just two baskets in the second period. They still trailed 11-16.

After halftime, the Warriors quickly picked up their feet and cut the lead to two points. Lloyd Ewers and Daniel Gonzalez helped create this spark as they combined for 11 points in the third quarter.

However, the Patriots regained their footing and spread the lead to 30-24 at the end of the period.

Fallbrook quickly took control of the fourth quarter. Ewers scored five unanswered points, trimming the Patriots’ lead to just a single point.

After scoring another basket, Ewers fouled out. He finished the game with 15 points, three assists and six rebounds.

Fallbrook still trailed by a point. Warrior Nathan McDonald, who had been quiet the first three quarters, hit a shot to give Fallbrook their first lead since the beginning of the game.

The Patriots came back and took a 41-39 lead with less than 20 seconds remaining.

Then Warrior Anthony Acosta took charge. He hit the game-tying shot and quickly stole the ball.

After a scramble for the ball, the referee called for a jump ball. Fortunately, the possession arrow signaled a Warrior ball with eight seconds remaining.

Daniel Gonzalez took the final shot, but the ball failed to drop.

In overtime, Gonzales fouled out and the Warriors found themselves without two of their best playmakers. However, Fallbrook played an excellent period to win 49-44.

“I felt really good because I thought I played poorly in the first three quarters,” said Acosta when asked about his clutch performance.

Fallbrook coach Steve Martinez added, “I was really proud of how our team kept their composure and continued to fight.”

To comment on this story online, visit


Reader Comments(0)