Also serving the communities of De Luz, Rainbow, Camp Pendleton, Pala and Pauma

Sun Devils triumph 21-11 over Warriors

On September 18, the Fallbrook varsity football team took on the Mt. Carmel Sun Devils (1-2). The Warriors (0-3) seemed focused as they kept their opponent scoreless through the first half. But fatigue and costly turnovers allowed the Sun Devils to take the win 21-11.

Mt. Carmel received the ball to begin the game. The Sun Devils punted after managing to gain just one first-down. However, the Warriors were also forced to punt on their first drive.

Fallbrook quickly went to work on their next possession; they gained four first-downs to find themselves on Mt. Carmel’s 30-yard line at the end of the first quarter.

Two first-downs later, the Warriors threatened to score six yards away from the end zone. The Sun Devils managed to hold Fallbrook from scoring, setting up a fourth-and-inches situation.

The Warriors decided to go for the conversion. However, a bad snap allowed Mt. Carmel to stop Fallbrook quarterback Christopher Fuetterer.

After back-to-back punts by both teams, the Sun Devils began on their 20-yard line. An impressive drive ended due to a fumble on a first-and-goal opportunity. At the end of the half, the game remained scoreless.

The third quarter opened up quietly as both teams failed to score on each of their initial drives. Fallbrook failed to reach the first-down marker on a fake punt, turning the ball over to the Sun Devils on the 50-yard line.

Mt. Carmel took no time to capitalize on the great field position as a short pass to the running back on the first play turned into a touchdown. After a botched snap on the extra point attempt, the Warriors trailed by six.

Fallbrook looked for their first score once again as they returned the following kickoff to Mt. Carmel’s twenty-five. The drive was capped by Victor Lopez’s 25-yard field goal as time expired. The Warriors cut the deficit to three.

The fourth quarter began with an excellent drive by the Sun Devils as they effortlessly moved the ball down the field. After four first-downs, a five-yard touchdown run and a successful two-point conversion gave Mt. Carmel a 14-3 lead with six minutes left.

On the Sun Devils’ next drive, the Warrior defense gave the Fallbrook offense a much-needed takeaway as they recovered a fumble on Mt. Carmel’s 40-yard line. But the Warrior offense did little to help their tired defense, throwing an interception on the opening play.

After a Sun Devil punt, the Warriors were on their own two-yard line. Unfortunately, Mt. Carmel intercepted the ball and returned it for a touchdown with two minutes left.

However, the Warriors never gave up. They quickly drove the ball downfield for an eight-yard touchdown pass to Lee Masten. A failed onside kick brought the game to a close with a final score of 21-11.

“We’re playing fine, but I think we’re just getting tired late in the game,” said Masten, who made the fantastic shoestring catch in the final minute of the game.

Coach Silvey added, “It’s frustrating for the players to see improvements, but how it doesn’t reflect on the scoreboard.”

To comment on this story online, visit


Reader Comments(0)

Rendered 06/22/2024 08:07