FALLBROOK — A geriatric care manager represents a growing trend to help family caregivers provide care for loved ones living close by or far away. Care managers are also particularly useful in helping caregivers at home find the right services and cope with the responsibility.
Care managers can go a long way toward helping the family find better and more efficient ways of providing care for a loved one. The concept is simple.
The family hires a professional adviser to act as a guide through the maze of long-term care services and providers. The care manager has been there many times. The family is experiencing it usually for the first time.
Hiring a care manager should be no different than hiring an attorney to help with legal issues or a CPA to help with taxes. Most people don’t attempt to solve legal problems on their own.
And the use of professional tax advice can be an invaluable investment. The same is true of using a certified geriatric care manager.
The services of a care manager will probably save families more money then do-it-yourself. Care manager services can also greatly reduce family and caregiver stress and help eliminate family disputes and disagreements.
Here is just a partial list of what a geriatric care manager may be able to help with:
• Assess the level and type of care needed and develop a care plan
• Take steps to start the care plan and keep it functioning
• Make sure care is received in a safe and disability-friendly environment
• Become an advocate for the care recipient and the family caregiver
• Manage care for a loved one for out-of-town families
• Conduct ongoing assessments to monitor and implement changes in care
• Oversee and direct care provided at home
• Provide assistance with placement in assisted living facilities or nursing homes
• Monitor the care of a family member in a nursing home or in assisted living
• Assist with the monitoring of medications
• Coordinate medical appointments and medical information
The RN geriatric care managers at Innovative Healthcare Consultants are available to answer questions on this subject.
They can be reached at (760) 731-1334 or toll-free (877) 731-1442 or through http://www.innovativehc.com.