Sneak some exercise into regular activities
Last updated 12/10/2009 at Noon
Many people equate exercise with doing a workout video or heading to the gym. This doesn’t have to be the case at all.
Regular daily activities provide a lot of the exercise a person needs and can be tweaked to provide even more.
• Move while watching TV or playing video games: There are several video games today that make physical activity part of the fun. Even if your gaming system doesn’t involve you getting up and being active, do so on your own. While watching a television show, dance, walk in place, do jumping jacks or any other activity during commercials.
• Go outdoors: Instead of recreational activities inside of the house where space is limited, play games, go on walks, or organize a pick-up sports game in the neighborhood. You'll burn calories, get exercise, and enjoy fresh air, too.
• Leave the car at home: Whenever possible, bike, walk, rollerblade, or get to your destination another way. Suburban life tends to create the car-to-store-to-car-to-house pattern, which doesn’t make for much physical activity.
• Keep moving: If you simply must sit, such as in school or at the office, tap or kick your legs. A little movement is better than none at all.
• Park further away: When in store parking lots, park furthest from the entrance so you’re forced to walk a bit more to and from the car.
• Take a walking tour: Sightseeing during a vacation? Many big cities are perfect for strolling. With so much to see, you won’t even realize how much walking you’re doing.