Also serving the communities of De Luz, Rainbow, Camp Pendleton, Pala and Pauma

Good Samaritans help officers catch two after gang attack

Both suspects in the March 22 attack on an 18-year-old male in front of a Main Avenue liquor store have been arrested, and officials are calling it a gang-related assault.

The two male suspects, ages 18 and 19, have been charged with PC 245, assault with a deadly weapon. Although no weapons were used, according to Detective James Cady, of the North County Gang Task Force, the charges apply because of “great bodily injury.”

The victim is a male Fallbrook resident who was treated and released at the scene shortly after the attack that occurred about 2:45 p.m.

One suspect, Tyler Dean, 19, of Fallbrook, was arrested on Beech Street near the bridge just west of Main Avenue shortly after the assault.

The ASTREA helicopter was dispatched and the area was searched by air for about 30 minutes for the additional suspect, who was later located and arrested the morning of March 23.

That suspect has been identified as Edvin Deleon, 18, also of Fallbrook.

Cady said it was a gang-related assault and that since both suspects are adults, they each will incur their first gang enhancement charge as adults.

It was preliminarily believed that the assault may have been a robbery, but nothing was stolen from the victim.

Two witnesses who saw the victim being attacked became ‘Good Samaritans’ when they took active roles in helping the victim and the authorities.

One witness said that as he drove by the liquor store he noticed the victim on the ground, tangled up in a bicycle, being beaten by two men. He said he originally thought it was just a “scuffle,” but after taking a closer look he noticed that a beating was taking place.

“Two guys were kicking him and one guy was stomping him on his head,” the witness said.

That witness called 911, and both he and the other witness followed the suspects as they ran from the scene. The suspects were on foot while the ‘Good Samaritans’ followed in vehicles.

“We kept them herded,” said the other witness/Good Samaritan.

Suspect Tyler Dean was arrested as a result of the Good Samaritans keeping him in their sight.

*Corrections on the suspects' names were made Mar. 29, 2010

(previous story, Mar. 22, 2010 3:21 p.m.)

Officers searching for suspect in assault, possible robbery

Debbie Ramsey

Managing Editor

Officers with the San Diego County Sheriff's Department have one suspect in custody but are seeking another in the assault of a man in the 500 block of South Main Avenue today at approximately 3 p.m. today.

The individual being sought is a Hispanic male, between 5-feet 8-inches and 5-feet 10-inches tall with dark hair, brown eyes, and wearing shorts, tall white socks and tennis shoes.

The two suspects assaulted a man in front of a liquor store, but authorities haven't released full details of the incident. It is unclear at this time whether the man was robbed of anything in the attack.

Authorities were called by two male motorists who were driving down Main Avenue and saw the attack occur.

The Good Samaritans saw the man, who was riding a bike, trying to fight off his two attackers. The motorists then followed the suspects and were able to lead police to a location where one was taken into custody.

The Sheriff's Department immediately put the ASTREA helicopter into service to search for the second suspect.

Officials tentatively labeled the incident as a "personal street robbery."

The victim did sustain injuries in the attack, but he declined to be taken for medical treatment.

The two motorists said they saw the victim being kicked in the head by the suspects.

Watch this site for updates to this story as they become available.

(previous story Mar. 22, 3:21 p.m.)

Helicopter searching for suspects in strong-arm robbery

Authorities from the San Diego County Sheriff's Department have reported two suspects are being sought in a strong-arm robbery and assault that took place at approximately 3 p.m. in the 500 block of South Main Avenue.

The ASTREA helicopter has been dispatched and is currently searching the area for the suspects. At this time, one individual has been detained by officers at the corner of Main Avenue and Fig Street.

Officials said the attempted robbery occurred in front of a liquor store and have labeled it as a "personal street robbery." The victim did sustain injuries.

Watch this site for updates as they become available.


Reader Comments(0)

Rendered 07/11/2024 00:05