Village News - Also serving the communities of De Luz, Rainbow, Camp Pendleton, Pala and Pauma

Reche School House open house proves popular

 

Last updated 10/16/2017 at Noon

Scott Atkins, vice president of the Fallbrook Historical Society, gives visitors a tour of the Reche School House.

FALLBROOK – The Fallbrook Historical Society held an open house of the 121-year-old Reche School House and more than 250 visitors toured the newly-renovated, one-room school Sept. 30.

People from throughout San Diego County viewed several multi-media and fixed displays inside the school; enjoyed talking to Ila Calloway-Driver, who shared memories of being a student at the school in 1926-1927; visited with Marion Clemmens, who at age 99 is the oldest native Fallbrookian; and chatted with Betty Gilby, longtime member of the Reche Club.

National Charity League members Heidi Roderick, Ayisha Roderick, and Rachelle Roderick demonstrated games typically played in earlier years and encouraged youngsters to try them.

Kathy McGoldrick ground acorns in metates the way the Native Americans did for generations, while Bob Miller, Jim Foster, Tom Frew, Scott Atkins and others guided visitors around the grounds where pioneers are memorialized for their services to the school. Escorted walks down to the Indian Rocks at the edge of the property were also offered.

The two-stage renovation, which included an ADA restroom and upgraded electricity as well as grounds cleanup, took place over the last two years and was carefully overseen by the tireless efforts of Bruce Ganoe. Carolyn Ganoe spent countless hours preparing the historical displays in the schoolroom and the library.

Brass era automobiles were on hand thanks to members of the Vintage Car Club of Fallbrook, and junior docent Gregory Laurance assisted with greeting and parking.

The Reche School House is part of the Fallbrook Historical Society and is available for private tours or to rent for special events. The Heritage Center campus of the Fallbrook Historical Society is open on Thursdays and Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. at 260 Rocky Crest Road (at Hill). Call 760-723-4125 for information.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018