Village News - Also serving the communities of De Luz, Rainbow, Camp Pendleton, Pala and Pauma

By Rebecca Marshall Farnbach
Special to Village News 

Bees and beasts in Temecula Valley, circa 1910-1945

 

Last updated 2/17/2021 at 12:49pm

cattle

Village News/Temecula Valley Historical Society photo

Vail Ranch cattle graze on the Santa Rosa Plateau, circa 1950s.

Ranches dominated almost all of the Temecula Valley in 1910. The Vail Ranch owned 87,500-acres spreading from south of today's Temecula Parkway to Clinton Keith Road, west to U.S. Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton and east to past Vail Lake. The two small villages of Temecula and Murrieta were sandwiched between ranch lands of the Vails and other ranchers, including the Roripaughs and Barnetts. The entire area was known as a cattle-grazing empire.

The Vail Company purchased yearlings, cattle a year old, and fed them in the local grasslands until they weighed enough to sell to a packing plan...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020

Rendered 02/26/2021 22:17