Village News - Also serving the communities of De Luz, Rainbow, Camp Pendleton, Pala and Pauma

Man transported to UCSD Burn Center after explosion

 

Last updated 10/8/2021 at 2:15pm

A female is assisted before being transported with minor injuries from an explosion and fire that occurred Sunday, Sept. 19, at the Village Apartments, 1433 S. Mission Road. Village News photo

Julie Reeder

Publisher

A man was transported by Mercy Air 5 to the UCSD Burn Center in San Diego after an explosion in a Fallbrook apartment Sunday, Sept. 19.

The call to Village Apartments at 1433 S. Mission Road came in just after 1:30 p.m. as a working residential fire, according to North County Fire Protection District spokesman John Choi.

The mother of the man transported to UCSD Burn Center, who was also assessed and transported to UCSD with minor injuries, said she was asleep in another room when the explosion occurred.

A dog in the apartment was safely removed with no injuries, Choi said.

Hazmat workers arrive at the scene of an explosion at 1433 S. Mission Road in Fallbrook. Village News photo

San Diego County Sheriff's Department detectives arrived on scene as well as SDGE and Hazmat. All power and propane was shut off in the building, pending inspection.

According to Choi, the mother said her son was cooking a marijuana product known as wax, though authorities have yet to verify the claim.

Wax is a type of butane hash oil where butane gas is used as a solvent to extract the major cannabinoids and terpenes from plant's buds and trimmings. Butane is highly flammable and unstable, and the possibility of butane explosions makes do it yourself extractions dangerous, according to Weedmaps.com.

According Choi, San Diego Sheriff's Department Bomb and Arson team and Vista Fire also responded.

The fire was contained to one unit in the apartment building, Choi said.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021