This is a statement from Bonsall Unified School District candidate Mark Jones, who wasn’t included in the candidate statements last week:
Schools are following the political landscape and practicing exclusion as opposed to inclusion. Our district, board, superintendent, and school leaders should be advocates for all students, not just some students.
I have a doctorate from USC. My research focused on sexual assault in post-secondary institutions; however, the impact of the K-12 culture and climate plays a crucial role in later abuse. In addition, my small business supports SD PRIDE, Hospice of the Valleys, and a national organization dedicated to reaching underrepresented communities. You may learn more at http://www.ca.coffee.
1. Inclusion – We are here for all students, not just some of the students;
2. Equity - Remove artificial barriers to student success, i.e., overly rigid attendance policies and engagement with teachers. We achieve this by meeting the students where they are regardless of past achievements.
3. Promote systems and structures to ensure that each person at the school understands their role and meets clear expectations. Systems and Structures create ownership amongst staff/students and lead to equitable and just student outcomes. A 360-degree campus has each person working towards the same goal; student success.
I am endorsed by:
• San Diego Democratic Party
• San Diego Democratic Education Alliance