WASHINGTON – America's Navy is coming to Oceanside, one of 16 cities across four states to host a performance by the U.S. Navy Band Sea Chanters chorus during their 2023 tour – one of the signature outreach programs of the U.S. Navy.
The Sea Chanters performance is scheduled for Saturday, March 25, at 6 p.m. at Oceanside Pier Amphitheater, 301 The Strand N.
While all performances are free and open to the public, some concerts may require advanced ticket reservations. For the most up-to-date ticketing information, visit the band's website at http://www.navyband.navy.mil.
The U.S. Navy Band Sea Chanters is the official chorus of America's Navy. The ensemble performs a variety of music ranging from traditional choral music, including sea chanteys and patriotic fare, to opera, Broadway and contemporary music. The Sea Chanters chorus is frequently found at the center of high-profile national events. At home in Washington, the group performs for the president, vice president and numerous congressional, military and foreign dignitaries.
One of the U.S. Navy Band's primary responsibilities involves touring the country. All of the band's primary performing units embark each year on concert tours throughout specified regions of the country, allowing the band to reach out to audiences in areas of the country that do not have opportunities to see the Navy's premier musical ensembles on a regular basis. The concerts are family-friendly events, meant to be entertaining to veterans, families, individuals and those interested in joining the Navy.
"For many years, Navy bands have been where it matters, when it matters, just like the rest of our Navy. Today, we have Sailors performing around the world, improving relations with our allies abroad as well as telling the Navy story here at home," Capt. Kenneth Collins, U.S. Navy Band commanding officer, said.
Submitted by the U.S. Navy.
· The U.S. Navy Band is the flagship musical organization of the Navy and one of 11 Navy bands located around the world.
· The U.S. Navy Band is based at the Washington Navy Yard in Washington
· The Navy Band has been touring the country since 1925.
· There are six performing ensembles in the Navy Band: the Concert Band, Ceremonial Band, Sea Chanters chorus, Commodores jazz ensemble, Country Current country/bluegrass ensemble and the Cruisers popular music group.
· Ensembles from the Navy Band tour nationally 12-15 weeks each year. Sailors in the Navy Band are full-time professional musicians.
· Almost all of the Sailors in the Navy Band have undergraduate degrees in music, and most have graduate degrees.