Apartment fire from gas line displaces residents
Last updated 9/25/2023 at 6:59pm
09-25-23: Update and correction to this story: It has come to the attention of Village News that many of the residents were displaced, more than just two units, until the building was deemed safe to re-enter. Also, it has been reported, that the Red Cross possibly didn't provide hotel rooms for the displaced.
A working residential fire was reported Wednesday at 6:54 pm at an apartment complex at 240 E. Fallbrook St. A witness reported that it was a gas line that caught fire and NCFPD PIO John Choi confirmed that it was a gas line break with fire.
The flames were 20 to 30 feet high and reached from the ground past the roof on the second story. The complex was evacuated by Sheriff deputies while firefighters extinguished the flames. People displaced by the fire were provided a hotel stay, courtesy of the Red Cross, according to reports on scene.
A gas line exploded but no one was hurt, according to those at the scene. The manager, Kim, said, "The main water line broke. The plumber was repairing a water line and he hit the gas line and didn't know it. He went to solder the line and it exploded. But he actually finished the job!"
NCFPD did rescue one woman who was sleeping upstairs. They went through the back to get her and she was transported out of precaution.
The manager said Thursday morning that her boss, insurance personnel, and the fire department were coming back.
North County Fire, Camp Pendleton, and Vista were all on the scene with the Sheriff's Dept.