Also serving the communities of De Luz, Rainbow, Camp Pendleton, Pala and Pauma

Officer attacked by hammer wielding man

A man who attacked an officer this afternoon at about 2 pm near 1005 E. Mission Rd was detained and transported to Temecula Valley Hospital. Two calls came into 911, according to a deputy on the scene. One of the callers described the subject walking westbound on E. Mission Rd. taunting cars to hit him and taking mail from residents' mailboxes along E. Mission. He was also observed to be carrying a hammer.

"A sheriff arrived and pulled a little way in front of the man and gave him a command. The subject had a hammer in his hand and approached the officer in a threatening manner. The officer pulled his service revolver, giving commands, and suddenly the subject began to run next to the side of the vehicle. When the officer attempted to detain the subject, he began to fight with the officer swinging his hammer," said a witness at the scene who asked to remain anonymous.

A fight ensued between the subject and the officer. A citizen stopped and assisted the officer in the attempt to detain and handcuff the subject. At that time, multiple officers arrived to assist and help detain and handcuff the man. The subject continued to flop, spit, kick and scream, according to the witness who assisted and observed and requested to remain anonymous. The witness added that while the situation was dangerous and unpredictable, he was impressed with the officers who responded professionally.

A spit mask was put on the subject and paramedics were dispatched. NCFPD PIO John Choi verified that the call came in as a use of force incident. A witness reported that the paramedics administered a shot to subdue the subject. He was then transported by NCFPD to Temecula Valley Hospital.

Earlier in the day, at about 12:30 pm, the same subject apparently was reported to be laying in the middle of the road on Gum Tree Lane. The CHP log identified the man as a white male adult, with no shirt, and sunglasses.

The call came into the Sheriff's dept. as a suicide, actual or attempt in the 2200 block of Gum Tree Lane on Sunday at 12:28 pm, but he was released after being detained and questioned.


Reader Comments(0)