By Adam Beam
The Associated Press 

California measure aims to pay off 80% of most unpaid rent


Last updated 2/4/2021 at 1:11pm

construction of apartment building

AP photo/Rich Pedroncelli, file photo

In this photo, Feb. 8, 2019, file photo, work is done on an apartment building under construction in Sacramento. On Monday, Jan. 25, 2021, Gov. Gavin Newsom, Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon and Senate President Pro Tem Tempore Toni Atkins announced a proposal that would extend pandemic eviction protections through the end of June and pay up to 80% of some tenants' unpaid rent. The proposal must still be approved by the state Legislature.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom and the state's top two legislative leaders pledged Monday, Jan. 25, to pay off 80% of most people's unpaid rent that has piled up during the coronavirus pandemic – but only if landlords agree to forgive the other 20%.

The proposal, which must be approved by the Legislature, could wipe out potentially billions of dollars in debt hanging over renters in the nation's most populous state by using federal relief money to compel landlords to forgive debt. It also would extend a law scheduled to expire Monday, Feb. 1, that bans landlords from evicting people as long...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Reader Comments(0)


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2023