Village News - Also serving the communities of De Luz, Rainbow, Camp Pendleton, Pala and Pauma

By Jeff Pack
Writer 

Recent incident at San Onofre Nuclear plant sparks controversy

 

Last updated 8/17/2018 at 2:38pm

Luke Jones / Wikimedia Commons photo

Southern California Edison announced in a statement Aug. 10 that an incident at the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station has caused a hold on all transfers of spent fuel at the facility. Project opponents say this is just another in a long string of dangerous incidents that have happened at the facility since it was decommissioned in 2013.

The utility operating the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station confirmed an incident last week involving a canister containing spent nuclear fuel and has directed the contractor in charge of transferring the fuel to conduct additional training. All transfers have been put on hold, Southern California Edison officials said in a statement released Aug. 10.

The cannister, loaded by a crew from Holtec Aug. 3, got wedged, but a Southern California Edison oversight team discovered the canister was not sitting properly, Edison officials said. The canister was then re-positioned correctly and plac...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018

Rendered 09/23/2018 19:04