FALLBROOK – Want a hassle-free move? The key is to be organized and plan your move well in advance. We've got you covered:
Six weeks before:
• Buy moving supplies such as boxes, tape, bubble wrap and other moving essentials.
• Downsize belongings. This will help save money on your move. Sell or donate anything you don't want to bring into your new house.
• Give your current employer proper notice of your leave.
• Notify current service providers – power, cable, cellphone company, and mail subscriptions to transfer or cancel.
• Start making an inventory of all the items to be moved. This will be helpful for you to have more accurate moving quotes.
• If you wish to hire a moving company, start contacting them to get quotes and check availability.
• Start packing seldom-used items. It will be much easier to pack each room at a time. Don't forget to label the boxes.
strong>One week before:
• Pay all your outstanding utility bills.
• Get medical records. That includes your pet's too.
• Set aside your first night essentials, valuables, or any items the movers will not transport.
• Have mail forwarded.
• Consume perishable food items that will not be brought to the new home.
• Stock up on prescriptions you will need in the next couple of weeks.
• Have cash on hand for tipping movers, traveling expenses, and any emergencies.
• Manage and make sure you have everything.
• Clean. Don't forget to replace the toilet seat!
• Change your locks.
• Set up all utilities in your name and new address.
• Locate the fuse box and water valve.
• Look up new doctors, dentists, child care, and all other necessary services in your new city and transfer all your medical records.
• If you've moved out of state, register your vehicles and get a new driver's license with your new address.
• Why not celebrate and throw a housewarming party! It's also a nice way to meet your new neighbors.
Ready to make a move? If you have questions feel free to contact an agent at Broadpoint Properties.
This article first appeared on Broadpoint Properties' website, https://servingsandiegocounty.com.