SAN MARCOS – More than 400 kids and parents came out to the TrueCare annual Breast Milk Drive & Family-Fun Health Fair on Saturday, Aug. 12 at TrueCare San Marcos. Nursing moms rolled in gallons of extra breast milk in coolers to share the benefits of nutritious human donor milk for babies in need to help them thrive.
Families also enjoyed the family-friendly health fair with free goodies for attendees, fun activities for the kids, giveaways and prizes for the entire family.
Highlights from the event included:
· Breast Milk Donation Drive: Nursing mothers donated their excess breast milk to help nourish babies who are in critical need of this precious resource.
· Entertainment: Kids and their parents enjoyed activities, spinning the wheel for prizes, and taking a break in the Cool Zone tent.
· Free health services: Families experienced free health screenings, behavioral health, immunizations, dental screenings, fluoride varnish, blood pressure and blood sugar checks and lactation consultation.
· Expert advice: Families talked with compassionate medical providers and staff, received education and demonstrations, and received insurance enrollment assistance.
· Blood drive – Many people donated blood to benefit the San Diego Blood Bank.
· Community engagement: Local organizations, volunteers, and activists promoted the drive to improve the lives of high-risk babies and family and child health. Partners include UC Milk Bank, Palomar Medical Center, CSUSM - Nursing, SD Blood Bank Mobile, First 5 San Diego and Southern Caregiver Resource Center.
Submitted by TrueCare San Marcos.