Meet me at the fair
Last updated 6/26/2008 at Noon
Months of work will cumulate in the next week as 4-H, Grange and FFA members from throughout the county exhibit their livestock at the San Diego County Fair.
Today through Saturday, the Breed Show continues with goats, sheep and cattle; then, beginning Monday, June 30, the market livestock will be on display. 4-H members are frantically working with their animals to ensure they look their best for the competition.
The market show will run through July 4, which is Auction Day. For those who have never attended, the blue ribbon livestock is auctioned off beginning at 10 a.m.
Prospective bidders can receive more information and free tickets to the fair by calling (760) 723-6171. Once registered, bidders are able to reward the youth of our community by buying an animal.
Many 4-H and FFA members have many dollars already invested in their projects and they all hope to make a profit. Most kids put the money toward their college educations.
It is a fun day for all; old friends reminisce and new friends can be made as businesses from our community and families join together to support the youth. Hope you can be there!
San Diego County Fair
Market Week Schedule
Tuesday, July 1
• 4-H Lambs (market): 10 a.m.
• 4-H Veal (market): 4 p.m.
• 4-H Goats (market): follows lambs
• FFA Goats (market): follows 4-H goats
• FFA Swine (market): 9 a.m.
• Meat Pens (poultry) judging: 10 a.m.
• Meat Pens (rabbits) judging: 6 p.m.
Wednesday, July 2
• FFA Beef (market): 9 a.m.
• 4-H Beef (market): follows FFA
• 4-H Swine (market): 9 a.m.
• FFA Lambs (market): 1 p.m.
• Grand champion judging: 7 p.m.
Thursday, July 3 (“Bred and Fed”)
• Swine, Sheep, Beef: 9 a.m.
• Goats: 11 a.m.
• FFA Lamb (showmanship): noon
• 4-H Lambs: follows FFA
• 4-H/FFA Veal (showmanship): noon
Friday, July 4
• Livestock Auction: 10 a.m. (order: Swine, Goats, Rabbits, Chickens, Turkeys, Veal, Lambs, Beef)
Saturday, July 5
• FFA Swine (showmanship): 8 a.m.
• 4-H Swine (showmanship): follows FFA
• 4-H Goats (showmanship): 10 a.m.
• FFA Goats (showmanship): follows 4-H
• FFA Beef (showmanship): 3 p.m.
• 4-H Beef (showmanship): follows FFA